Welcome to Exile: Escape From The Pit, the hint book.
This is the Official Hint Book as originaly published by Jeff Vogel. When he decided to no longer publish his hint book, I offered up this version. Now with his gracious permission, I submit this hintbook for your enjoyment.
As you are no doubt already aware, Exile: Escape From The Pit (Exile, for short) is a very in-depth, detail game in which many different quests and adventures lead you to many different outcomes. The world is vast and ominous. Finding your way through the game and to its conclusion (yes, there is a conclusion) can be difficult, if not darn near impossible. Thus, this hint book.
The hint book contains many sections. It is designed so that you can take the first hint given and not be told exactly what to do and where. If you don’t want to mess around with mere hints, you can also go straight to the final answer.
It’s your choice. Odds are, if you have a question, it’s answered in these pages. Whatever you do, don’t be ashamed of looking in this book. Exile is a product designed for fun. If you’re stuck somewhere, and the game is no longer fun, you not only can, you should get an answer. Fun is the only important objective. This book is here to increase it. So go forth, and conquer Exile! If you’re stuck, this book will be waiting for you.
Exile can be a rather tricky game to get started in. The foes are many, and the cash is scarce. This is a quick guide for how to get started in a comfortable way, step by step.
This is not a guide for everything you should do early in the game. It only says where the goodies are, not where all the valuable information is. Don’t be afraid to take a break from looting to talk to people for a bit.
OK. You have a fresh party, standing in the middle of Fort Exile. First, go find Tor, in one of the buildings to the south. Ask him about ‘supplies’. He will give you food, gold, and crude weapons.
After Fort Exile, go to Silvar. It’s due west. Once there, buy a bit more food (it’s cheap in Silvar), and a few better weapons.
Now for the Silvar freebies. Search the bookshelves in the town hall. You’ll find a scroll of fireball. Then go to the abandoned shop on the west side of town. Kick down the door, and then go through the door in the south wall. Save the game and keep going through the trap until you get past it with no deaths. Search the crate to get a nice weapon. Then go rest as the inn until you’re at full strength. Finally, go through the secret door at the back of the field with the cows. There’s a nice combat there. It’s tricky, but the loot will be good.
That cleans all the easy goods out of Silvar. Now find Fort Duvno, north of Fort Exile. Talk to people there. Rest up. It’s time for your first dungeon.
The bandit fort is atop a hill a bit west and a little north of Fort Duvno. First, circle the hill to the south. You’ll find a nice weapon. Then enter the bandit fort.
There is a third nice weapon in a crate in the blocked off room to the northwest (you’ll have to find a secret door). Kill all the monsters in whatever way you see fit. There are several chest in their lair. Also, there is a goodie guarded by two spirits. You need to enter the room from the east.
Now, after training and exploring, go north. To the northeast you will find an abandoned camp. Search the wall nearby. In a secret cave, you will find a supply cache.
Now go the new Nephilim fort, in the north wall of this huge caver. Fight lots of goblins and Nephilim. There are two very nice things here. First, search for secret doors in the quarters to the very northwest. You’ll find some nice loot and a bronze key (very useful later). Then search for secret passages in the room with the lizards to the very southeast. In the secret cave, search the body. The ring you find is a nice item, and worth a lot of cash to boot. There are other treasures hidden here, but those are the big ones.
Now, if you feel like, there is one more dungeon in the area – the bat cave. It’s down a passage in the northeast corner of this cavern. There are two good treasures, but you have to fight a lot to get to them. After a lot of dead bats and a secret passage or two, you will find a huge lava pool. Look across the lava. The special you will see is a bunch of gold and a potion of Ambrosia (total healing). Walking around the lava you will find an altar with a bunch of gold worth of gems and pair of magic gauntlets. It’s a nice haul, but not necessary to win the game.
By this point, you should have a reasonably powerful party with some nice items and some change. It’s time to do some real adventuring.
Head north to Formello. Ask the mayor about her ‘necklace’. The mission she sends you on is the beginning of great things. Go clean out the three level Nephilim fort to the west. Then onward!
Where are the Alchemical Concoctions?
Where are the Mage Spells?
Where are the Priest Spells?
How to use this section: Find your question in the appropriate section. Look at the number. Turn to the last section, and find the appropriate number in the list. This will be your hint. If several numbers are given, the first numbers are for hints, and the last number is the answer.
Where is the bronze key? 58
I can’t get into the Castle! Where’s the Royal Token? 3
I need a Blessed Athame. Where is it? 31
I need a Royal Seal. Where is it? 65
Where’s the gold key? 15
Where is the key for a stone door? 4
The key for an onyx lock? Like in the slith castle? 20
I also need the onyx scepter. 16
A dragon had his scroll stolen. How do I recover it? 38
Everyone talks about this magic orb that some dude named Thralni owned. Where is it? 90
What is a Wand of Carrunos? 83
I can’t find the six crystals! 92
I can only find four of the pieces of mold the witch wants! 94
Mission 1: Complete the royal quests and save Exile.
How do I start this quest? 41
They won't let me near the king! How do I get in? 3
How do I kill Sss-Thsss? 59
I've killed Sss-Thsss. What do I do now? 48
I need to release a certain nasty creature. How do I do it? 1
How do I get into that tower? All I find are buttons. 37
How do I open the flask? 61
I freed him! Where did he go? 10
How do I get into his fort? 35
How do I kill Grah-Hoth? 21
Mission 2: Escape from the underworld.
How do I get started? 62
How do I join the Scimitar? 27
Where do I get the passwords?
First part: 11 Second: 34 Third: 51 Fourth: 4040
Where is the exit from the underworld? 50
There's a stupid dragon in my way. How do I get past him? 22
The dungeon blocking the exit is slaughtering me. Any tips on how to get by? 12
Mission 3: Wreak a horrible revenge upon the Empire.
How do I get started? 23
What all do I need to get? 33
Where do I go after I get the stuff together? 33
How do I get past the first tower? 13
The second tower? 54
How do I get down the long passage? 52
How do I survive the final fight? 88
I can't get into that big Nephilim fort! The burning oil keeps killing me! What do I do? 78
I need to get over this chasm/river! I'm sure there are no secret passages. How do I do it? 69
Some of the statues talk! Do they say anything useful? 2
How do I get into the Castle? 36
Near the start, there's a bunch of gremlins guarding a glade. How do I get past them? 60
How do I get past those stupid magic barriers? 37
There is a maze of waterfalls. What am I trying to find? 89
I killed a dragon, and now I know I need something from it. What do I do? 91
I'm in a two-floor slith temple. There's a locked door on a wall in the center of the second floor. Where is the key? 93
Someone in Cotra wants me to rescue some prisoners. How do I do it? 87
How do I heal Hathwisa (Patrick's wife)? 81
Some commander wants some plans. Where are they? 32
Mirewen wants a slith magic tome. Where is it? 5
I'm trying to break an orb in a gremlin cave. What do I do? 76
I found a tower surrounded by lava. The door wants a password. What is it? 8
There's a magic barrier in the Castle that seems to demand a password. What is it? 18
I went into this crypt, but the door locked behind me. How do I get out? 17
There's another crypt. I can get a ways in, but once I cross the pit, I find a big locked door. How do I get it open? 56
I'm at the bottom floor of the Crypt of Drath. There's bunch of teleporters. What do I do? 85
The Tower of Magi
'X' wants to know about an anvil. What do I tell him? 68
Why is everyone in the Tower of Magi so freaked out? 77
There's a hissing, nasty magic barrier in the demon laboratory in the Tower of Magi. How do I get past it? 43
The Northern Islands
There's a large watery area to the north I can't find a boat for. How do I explore it? 39
Sailing around to the north, I see this tower but I can't get to it. Help! 72
There's this blue field past a secret passage in an island to the north. I die if I try to pass it. What gives? 7
I finally got to that tower on the northern island beyond the blue field. It doesn't have any doors. How do I get in? 26
How do I get past the blue field to get out? 82
1. To free Grah-Hoth, you need to go to the tower he's imprisoned in, west of Spire in the Abyss. It's beyond a well-guarded fort; you'll need to kill a bunch of guards to get through. Once there, the flask he's trapped in is inside the tower. Go find it...
4. To get the key to the stone door in the Crypt of Drath, go visit Motrax, the dragon far to the northeast. Ask him about 'bribe.' He tells you about the key. Go find the battlefield where the people he describes were slaughtered - it's a bit south, then a bit east. You'll find the key there.
7. To get past the blue field, find the pool on the island to the west. When you bathe in it, you become immune to the field for a brief time. Go to the pool through the secret passage at the east side of the island. Bathe in the pool. Go straight to the field.
8. You get the password to enter the tower from an outdoor special encounter behind a hidden passage to the east of the Tower of Magi. Kelner, in the Tower of Magi, knows about it. Ask him about 'haakai.'
Fight your way to the gauntlet, near the end of the level. You need to hit three buttons hidden throughout this huge cave. This clears the way to the exit from the underworld, at the north end of the cave. The best tip for surviving wandering around: go with your lights out. The monsters won't be able to attack you from far away.
Once Aydin's tower, ask him about 'trap.'
When in the Black Spire, go to the fresco at the north end. Press the Seal in the lower corner. Go to the eastern door. Pull the nearby lever. Leave.
14. Graymold can be found at the north end of one of the rivers. Start in a boat by Fort Dranlon. Go downriver south until you see a branch going west. Go west until you can go north, and keep going north until you reach the very head of the river (you will be blocked from boating further by waterfalls). The graymold is nearby.
Then, ask Patrick about 'fort.' Go to his office, and search his desk. Go to the end of the hidden corridor and search the bookshelf. Finally, go the the Castle. The key is hidden behind a magic barrier in the southwest corner.
Get past the magic barrier to get into the large hidden area in the southwest corner of the Tower of Magi. Get past the huge magic barrier with the crystal key. Fight through the tiny maze beyond. Kill the really big demon at the end of the maze (Demonslayer is a big help for this). The onyx scepter is there.
19. The blade is hidden in the second floor of the huge slith temple, which is upriver north of Almaria, at the north end of the swamp. To get to the blade requires a key, which you will find hidden in the northeast corner of the first floor. Be prepared for lots of fighting.
20. You need the onyx key in the slith castle. You can find one in the slith town or the slith mage school, both to the north of the slith castle. The town is across the river from Fort Dharmon. The mage school is down the river to the west.
21. Any weapon can kill Grah-Hoth, but Demonslayer works best. To survive long enough to get to him, try casting a lot of protection spells just before tripping the special that exposes yourself to him.
22. To get to the exit from the underworld, you want to pass the huge energy barrier in Sulfras' layer, just near where Sulfras sits. Get the silver circlet and the onyx scepter, and ask Sulfras for 'permission.'
24. Find the witch to the southeast. Get her the mold (it's hidden beyond secret passages in the vicinity - don't miss the bunch just next the where the witch is). That makes getting through the tower easier.
After that, it's just fighting and searching for secret doors to get to Erika. Once there, be sure to search her library. You'll find a key which will make it much easier to get in in the future.
28. Aydin, in the hidden tower on one of the northern islands, tells you how to find the passage to the teleporter to the surface world. In short, go to the river to the west of Aydin's tower. Go down it to the west, and the to the south. Search for secret passages on every ledge with swamp on it. Eventually, you'll find the beginning of the passage.
31. The Blessed Athame is in the secret area to the southwest in the Tower of Magi. Find a big room with two magic barriers side by side at the north end. Dispel the west barrier. Beyond it will be a 3x3 room with lava. Search for secret doors in the east wall of that room. In the room to the east, you'll find the Blessed Athame.
33. You will need to get the Royal Seal and 5 brooches (4 won't work). You will also need to get instructions from Aydin (in a tower on one of the northern islands) and the Dragon Khoth. Then, you need to learn a ritual from Erika to summon her. You get it by getting all 5 brooches and asking her for 'instructions.'
Then, you need to get past the lava. To do this, talk to a certain imprisoned demon to the northeast of the steam-filled cavern in the southeast end of Exile. He gives you good instructions to get into the fort, but only if King Micah has given you the mission to kill Grah-Hoth.
Finally, you need to get past the barriers to the north in Grah-Hoth's tower. To do this, talk to the angels hidden past secret passages in the lava filled area in the outdoors just to the southeast of the tower. One of them will tell you how to get past the barriers. Getting past by drinking at the fountains works, but it sucks your experience.
37. The buttons don't have anything to do with getting in. Search the stone area to the southwest of the tower for secret passages. Examine the runes (this area is still inside the town, not outdoors).
The scroll is hidden in the dungeon on the other side.
Go ask Patrick about the 'password.'
42. Sss-Thsss is in the slith castle, which is in the middle of a huge lake. Start in a boat by Fort Dranlon. Go south, then go down the river to the west. Follow the coast to the south to get to the huge lake with the castle in the middle.
To avoid the guards, you can find out a nice piece of information from a drunken sailor in Silvar: there is a secret entrance on the south wall. Enter the castle from the west, and follow the wall to the south, searching for secret passages as you go. This gets you in without having to deal with the hordes at the front gate.
48. Take the head of Sss-Thsss to Micah. Ask him about 'mission.' As you leave after collecting your reward, you should find out about Fort Remote being destroyed. Go there. Find the special encounter in the middle of town. Get in a big fight. Return to Micah. Ask about 'mission' again.
Then, you'll need the Royal Seal to get through an energy barrier.
Then, you'll need the Orb of Thralni to pass a pit and a lake.
Finally, you'll need to have the ritual to summon Erika for when you reach the pentagram. Get all five brooches, go to Erika, and ask her for 'instructions' until she gives it to you.
You also need a tiny key. 75
Finally, you can get to the circlet through a secret door in the north wall of the town.
57. The tip is at the bottom level of the Crypt of Drath, beyond the lair of a lich. To find the crypt, start at Fort Emerald. Go north to the slith fort, and west. Once you reach a huge cave, go to the far northeast corner.
59. Sss-Thsss is in the slith castle (look on the map). You need to find an onyx key, sneak in, go upstairs, fight your way to Sss-Thsss, and stab him a whole bunch of times. If you can't figure out how to get to him, go to... 42
63. To get past the huge gate and in and out of the giant's fort, you need the giant key. Enter the giant fort by the front door. Fall through the trap door. There is a secret passage in the south wall of your cell (you have to move diagonally to get through it). The giant key is past a secret door to the northwest.
Look for a door with an onyx lock. To get the onyx key... 20
To get to Sss-Thsss once on the second floor, go southeast, then west, then north, then east, fighting as you go.
The Royal Seal is in the locked room in the northwest corner of the ruin. If you keep getting killed by the lava... 86
The necklace is in the temple at the southwest corner of the second floor. You'll need the bronze key to get in.. 58
There is a gold necklace on the wall with some trophies. It's not magical (sell it). The real necklace is in the temple, on a pedestal.
74. One circlet is in the lair of the Giant, Intelligent, Friendly, Talking Spiders, to the northwest of Fort Draco. Keep approaching them, asking about the mission. Eventually, one of them will tell you to go to the aranea city to the west. Go there and free the friendly spider hidden in a cell to the northeast. You get to the cell by going to the large spider audience room in the north center of the dungeon, and then going east.
Once you free the spider, return to the friendly spider lair and search to the north. One of the webs that previously blocked your way will be gone, enabling you to reach some bodies. Search them to find the circlet.
75. After fighting in the arena three times, ask Scab about 'steal.' Search the tunnels to the west of town. Past a secret passage you will find a special encounter (towards the north end of the tunnels). Go to the special to receive the tiny key.
Say 'Phaedrus' to the man you find downstairs. He will send you to the gremlin cave, which is in the southwest corner of the huge rubble-filled cave east of Fort Spire. Search for secret passages in the northern gremlin cave. Go through the teleporter. Fight a lot. Search for secret doors in the southern bedroom. Go into the cave beyond and through the teleporter. Find the orb. Don't look into it - break it. Search for secret passages to the south of the orb, and teleport back to the Empire soldier's hideout. Search for secret passages in the north wall of the room with the tables and chairs. Pull the lever beyond. Go through the teleporter to the south (the same one you went through before). Leave the cave and return to Below Bargha.
Go to the river north of the fort (you'll have to circle around to the west). Fight past the two groups of guards. Search for secret passages near the east end of the shore. You will find a secret passage leading to the north side of the fort. The fort is much easier to attack from this side.
80. Athron is hidden in the Honeycomb, to the west of Mertis. You can only get to it by boat. Start in a boat by Silvar. Head west, following the south coast. Everyplace you can get off the boat, get off and search for secret passages. You will find a secret passage in a swampy area. It leads to the lair of Athron.
Where's the recipe? 47
85. On the second floor of the crypt, you need to push two buttons, one hidden to the northwest and one hidden to the southwest. This removes the walls blocking the stairs down in the south center of the dungeon.
When you reach the teleporter rooms on the third floor of the Crypt of Drath, go through the east teleporter three times, then search the east wall for secret doors. Go through the passage to the room with the undead, kill them, and leave to the south. The teleporter there takes you back to the stairs up. Don't forget to grab the piece of Demonslayer!
86. The trick to getting through the ruined demon fort is to find the boat. It's to the west of the entrance. With the boat, the thing is difficult, but possible. You'll need to wend your way through the dungeon. The thing you need is to the far northwest.
87. The prisoners are in the Nepharim fort, north of Cotra. The easiest was to rescue them is to enter and find, near the entrance, the secret passage to the west. Head west then north through the passage, searching for secret passages as go. When you find one, go through, search for secret passages in the building you find, and go through again. Sneak northeast, going to the north side of the northernmost building. Enter the room the the east of the portcullis and pull the lever. Enter the building just to the south, and free the prisoners. Escape through the secret passages around the dungeon.
There are many ways to do it. One of the better ones is to, when you arrive, kill the guards in the room with you. Go up to the north doors. Haste everyone repeatedly. Use a lot of protection spells and potions. Then make a run for it. Don't stop, just charge. Between the haste and protection, you should be able to get within spell range of Hawthorne. Then cut loose with your spells. With luck and a decent party, you'll succeed.
Go 5 west,1 south and down the waterfall, 1 south, 3 east, 3 south, 3 east, 1 south and down the waterfall, 2 south, 5 west, 1 south and down the waterfall. Keep heading roughly south. After the second waterfall, the dungeon you're looking for is to the east.
92. One is on an island to the south. One is in the slith fort on the island to the southwest. One of the human prisoners in the slith slaves camps has one. An old drake (outdoors) has another. One is in a temple (to the northwest) accessable only by boat. Finally, one is in the caves of the Spider Lord, hidden to the northwest, by a large swamp.
The stuff in this section may not help much, but it will point out some interesting things you may have missed…
1. Be sure to visit the Giant, Intelligent, Talking, Friendly Spiders, to the west of Fort Draco. They make good comic relief. A side note: if you ever play in one of Jeff Vogel’s tabletop role playing game session, expect to meet the spiders. Already, they have horrified many a gamer.
2. How many of the sealed exits from Exile have you found? There are four.
3. Did you find the frozen battlefield, hidden beyond a bunch of lava near the Tower of Magi?
4. Ever fight the Spider Lord? It’s hidden lair is southwest of the Aranea City. (This is where one of the six broken crystals is too.)
5. Find either of the Vahnatai dungeons? One is on an island near one of the slith forts. Another is northwest of the destroyed Empire outpost.
6. Be sure to visit Fort Remote before it gets destroyed. The people are fun.
7. There is an ogre lair northwest of the Tower of Magi. Don’t forget to look in the stew pot in the kitchen.
8. The slith town of Gnass doesn’t have much in the way of solving the game, but it’s worth a good visit just for interest value.
9. Be sure to try to steal the royal treasure at least once. Also there is some interesting loot hidden in the northeast corner of Formello
10. Kill Micah. Kill Erika. Interesting, huh?
11. There are 77 towns/dungeons levels. Can you visit them all?
12. In case you wondered, the whole anvil thing is a running gag on USENET newsgroup talk.bizarre. Self indulgent, huh?
13. Try looting all the dragon’s hordes. Save the game first – most of the dragons have information you need.
This is a comprehensive list of the towns/dungeons in Exile. By each town/dungeon is a list of the important items that can be found at that location.
1. Fort Exile - Create new characters here.
3. Fort Duvno
4. Bandit Fort
5. New Fort - Bronze Key
6. Bat Cave
7. Formello - Royal Token
8. Hidden Tower (Solberg’s Tower) - Crystal Key
9. Lair of Motrax - Ivory Brooch
10. Ancient Crypt
11. Dark Pit - Pearl Brooch
12. Mertis - Ebony Brooch
13. Ogre Cave
14. Tower of Magi - Onyx Scepter
16. Nepharim Fort - Prisoners, Pommel of Demonslayer
17. Nephilim Fort (3 levels) - Gold Necklace
18. Hidden Temple
19. Fort Draco
20. Spider Cave - Malachite Brooch
21. Cave of Athron - Piece of Password
22. Shattered Fort (Akhronath) - Royal Seal
23. Island Fort - Slith War Plans, Quartz Crystal
24. Fort Dranlon - Dispel Barrier Spell
25. Swamp City - Slith Magic Tome, Onyx Key
26. Aranea Cave - Quartz Crystal
27. Aranea City - Spider Prisoner
28. Slith Temple (2 levels) - Blade of Demonslayer
29. Almaria - Bottle of Wine
30. Slith Castle (2 levels) Sss-Thsss
31. Foul Cavern
32. Slith Fort - Onyx Key
33. The Castle - Gold Key
34. Gremlin Cave - Orb you need to break
35. Crypt of Drath (3 levels) - Tip of Demonslayer
36. Slith Fortification
37. Cave of Pyrog - Chalcedony Brooch
38. Strange Cave - Dragon Scroll
39. Giant Fort (2 levels) - Giant Key
40. Hidden Tower - Instructions to pass Black Spire
41. Teleport Pentagram/ Castle Hawthorne
42. Fort Emerald
45. Patrick’s Tower - Password to get gold key, Piece of Password
46. Stagnant Caverns - Orb of Thralni
47. Fort Spire
48. Bandit Cave
49. Bandit Cave
50. Spire - Silver Circlet
51. Bargha (2 levels)
52. Black Spire
53. Tower of Barriers
54. Lair of Khoth - Ritual to pass Tower of Barriers
55. Fort Saffron
57. Fort Remote
58. Gremlin’s Gold - Stolen Message
59. Tower of Erika - Piece of Password, Instructions to teleport to surface
61. Prison of Grah-Hoth - Flask where Grah-Hoth is held
62. Ruined Fort
64. Tower of Grah-Hoth
65. Pit of the Drake - Smite
66. Tower of Sulfras
67. Final Gauntlet - Exit to surface world
List of Special Things:
Wand of Carruno - Increases health of target.
Crystal Wand - Casts Dispel Undead.
Prismatic Wand - Casts Dispel Spirit.
Arrows of Light - Demon slaying.
Arrows of Life - Undead slaying.
Smite - Does extra damage to giants
Demonslayer - Does extra damage to demons.
Heartfinder, Alien Blade - Always poisoned.
Frost Axe, Runed Halberd - Casts ice bolts.
Ravage Knife - Does a lot of damage.
Death Lance - Can cast kill spells.
Flame Halberd - Casts flame spells.
Scrioth - Magic greatsword. Casts flame spells.
Armor and Helms:
Shield of Khar - Can cast health spells.
Shield of Klin - Casts bless spells.
Lifeshield - If you die when this is equipped, it brings you back to life with full health.
Crystal Shield - Protects from petrification.
Ice Shield - Protects from fire.
Gila Cloak - Gives poison resistance.
Cryos Armor - Fire resistant.
Ruby Helm - Casts fireballs.
Emerald Helm - Casts poison spells.
Helm of Speed - Occasionally hastes you.
Lifesaver Amulet - If you die, it brings you back to life with full health.
Necklace of Lords - Regenerates and increases your chance to hit.
Silver Ankh - Protects from undead.
Amulet of Cobra - Increases the effectiveness of your poison.
Ruby Charm - Fire resistance.
Onyx Charm - Fire and magic resistance.
Fang Necklace, Gauntlets of Skill, Circlet of Giants - Occasionally blesses you.
Mist Globe - Random effect. Can heal, increase your strength, or poison you severely.
Piercing Crystal - Casts Dispel Barrier.
Protection Brew, Shielding Crystal - Casts Protection.
Orb of Thralni - Casts fly spells. Only usable outdoors.
Glowstone - Casts light spells.
Ambrosia - Gives full health.
Blessed Circlet - Protection from undead.
Elixir of Power - Restores spell points.
Brew of Lethe - Drains experience.